The noodle manufacturer Fritz Schminke contacted the architect Hans Bernhard Scharoun first in 1930. The married couple Schminke became aware of him when they visited twice the "Werkbundausstellung" in Stuttgart 1927 and in Breslau 1929. Both were exhibitions of the "Werkbund", a German association of artists, architects, designers and industrialists.
The owners had a very clear vision of their future house but also left adequate tolerance for the architect's ideas. When Fritz Schminke remembered his requirements in retrospect later, he thought of "... a modern house for two parents, four children and one or two occasional guests; since the main piece of the garden was to the north of the scheduled building site, this viewing direction should keep free but living rooms should also have southern sunlight as well; easy management, just one helpmate for the housewife; convenient floorings, easy to clean bathrooms, sleeping rooms and washing rooms, a living, a washing and cloakroom for the housemate; facilities to maintain the flowers that were of the housewife's special interest... "
Wilhelm Schminke, the father of Fritz, had planned to build a new house on the very spot previously in 1910 however, urgent need to invest into the family-owned pasta plant "Anker" prevented him from building the villa, which was originally planned by the office Lossow & Kuehne. Later, there were other reasons which prevented the planned building from proceeding, namely, World War I, the Great Depression and the Inflation. In order not to dismiss all of his workers, Wilhelm Schminke had them excavate the building pit and spread main parts of the garden. In the end, the villa remained unbuilt because of Wilhelm Schminke's early passing.
Architect Scharoun handed the building application in for the construction project by Fritz Schminke in June 1930, it was passed in August. Once again, it took time to organize financing so, construction works started in August 1932. The Schminke family moved into the house in May 1933. However, they lived in the house for only 12 years.
In 1945, the Russian Red Army confiscated the house and it became a Soviet Army military commander's office.
The Schminkes got the house back in 1946 but, at the same time, Fritz was expropriated from his Anker pasta factory. Then, his wife Charlotte established a children's recreation home for the families of bomb victims in order to make her living. Her husband returned from Russian war captivity in 1948 and left the former GDR in 1950. He was regarded as a war criminal for being a supplier to the German Army Wehrmacht during World War II: His wife followed him and both of them lived in Celle, Lower Saxony, in 1951.
The married couple Schminke let the house for rent to the city of Loebau. Authorities established a clubhouse for the former FDJ association ("Freie Deutsche Jugend" - the "Frank Young of Germany"). Just one year later, Schminkes were expropriated from the house again. The club was dissolved in 1963 and a new utilization was assigned: It became "Haus der Pioniere" ("House for the Pioneers"), the former official communistic organization for children until the German reunification.
The city of Loebau established a leisure center for teenagers in 1990.
It was in 1993, when the Schminke family renounced from their house's back transfer for the benefit of public use. In the same year, the city council decided to hand the constitution of a leisure center Loebau over to the Foerderverein Freizeitzentrum e. V. (Development Association for a Leisure Center, registered association).
In 1994, the foundation "Wuestenrot Stiftung" became aware of the Haus Schminke. So, the foundation and the city of Loebau both signed a so-called "ownership agreement" in order to overhaul and redevelop the house. Under the leadership of constructional engineering by the "Werkstatt fuer Architektur und Denkmalpflege Pitz & Hoh, Berlin (Shop for Architecture and Preservation of Monuments and Historic Buildings), the house was broadly overhauled and redeveloped from late summer 1999 to December 2000. Its memorial protection status was regarded; the project was attended by the memorial protection authority and by the Scientific Advisory Council of the Wuestenrot foundation. Furthermore, the Federation and the Free State of Saxony co-financed.
The two daughters of Charlotte and Fritz Schminke, Helga Zumpe and Erika Inderbiethen, attended the reopening ceremony of the house December 14, 2000. Thanks to both of them, several original objects could be brought back to their place of origin. These items, among others, included mother's marital bed, a bedroom couch, a davenport and private picture documentations.
When moving in to the Haus Schminke again in January 2001, the registered association was called "Haus Schminke e. V." The association cancelled the existing license agreement with the city of Loebau in late summer 2005. So, the city took over the sponsorship again in 2006 and developed a provisional utilization concept with focus on the house being an architectural memorial.