The building of the Haus Schminke was closely related to the company "Loeser & Richter.",
a noodle manufacturer or, as the Loebau people put it affectionately in other words, "the noddleness".
The gentlemen Loeser and von Kescycki founded a pasta manufactory and operated under the name "Loeser & Co." in 1874. One year later, Kescycki left the company. With a new joint partner, the company became "Loeser & Richter". It was run until 1946. At first, they produced in rented premises, before acquiring real estate in Aeussere Bautzner Strasse and constructing their own building on it in 1899. They moved into their property in 1900.
In 1881, their products were branded and trademarked "Anker". It was the brand of Loebau noodles which quickly developed into a world-famous label. Wilhelm Schminke, the textile manufacturer from Glauchau, finally bought the company in 1904. Under his and his son's Fritz' direction, the site was further completed and upgraded from 1920 on. As the noodles became brand-name products, the packaging was made standardized in blue and orange colors. A little later, "Loeser & Richter" became the first German noodle manufactory offering their products in cellophane packs.
After extensive planning, the factory in Aeussere Bautzner Strasse was refaced under the direction of Hans Scharoun in 1934/1935. The factory was not completely reconstructed as intended but, it had comprehensive staff rooms, a company-owned library, a service facility to rent holiday utensils, a factory canteen, a "Loyalty garden" for the staff's breaks and sanitary installations of the latest innovative design; flush toilets and showers implemented for the employees, who affectionately were called "the Anker-family circle".
The in-house magazine "Nach Ladenschluss" ("After Shop Closing Time") for dealers in colonial goods and delicatessens was edited and distributed for free. Main concerns of the journal were to communicate merchandise knowledge, to provide sales news, advertising opportunities and expert knowledge on how to stimulate turnover. It achieved a print run up to 10,000.
Since Fritz was called to the military war service, his brother Joachim became the Plant Manager in 1939. Loeser & Richter had about 280 employees at this time. The magazine "Anker-Feldpost" (their own army postal service) was edited to keep in touch with those employees who were called to the service. This magazine is considered as evidence of the extraordinary communal spirit of Anker employees.
Initially, the lack of flour prevented further noodle production after World War II. Toys and handbags were temporarily produced for employment. In the summer of 1945, subcontracts for the Red Army and for private individuals started gradual production. There were also subcontracts offered for dry fruits and vegetables in order to make better use of the plant's full manufacturing capacity.
The Schminke brothers Fritz and Joachim were illegitimately dispossessed from their factory July 1, 1946. The entrepreneurs were considered "war criminals" because the company Loeser & Richter was a supplier, among others, for the Deutsche Wehrmacht, too. At this time, Fritz Schminke was still in Russian war captivity.
The company became a "Volkseigener Betrieb" (VEB) Anker-Teigwaren (publicly owned Anker Pasta Company). The output increased slowly during the post war years again and in 1948, the company reached the highest rate of production ever achieved since the company's formation. In the beginning of the 1950s, small "Anker" trademark packages in their former design were increasingly introduced into the market, achieving considerable sums. On one hand, the Anker Company grew, due to the former GDR restructured companies into state holdings in the following years. On the other hand, necessary upgrading and conservation of value failed to appear. So, production output started to drop again.
After the collapse of the GDR, Anker-Teigwarenfabrik was converted into a GmbH (Limited). Unfortunately, it was not possible to find an investor for this long-established company and 118 years of company history ended in 1992. Unfortunately, the "Anker" products which had once achieved extraordinary success can no longer be found.